Sunday, June 22, 2014

Fitting the Pieces Together

  • Now that you have a deeper understanding of the different learning theories and learning styles, how has your view on how you learn changed?
When reviewing my thoughts on the different learning theories and styles, I am still in agreement with some of my initial ideas but have revised others.  Initially, I stated that I felt most of my learning was based on the theories of behaviorism and constructivism.  Today, I still believe that the foundation for early learning develops through reinforcement of behaviors and that habits form through repetition. This is because children do not start with a large knowledge base or previous experiences from which to draw inferences.  As children mature, they soon build a groundwork of knowledge and at a fairly early age, can add new learning experiences to it. This style of learning through building personal truths follows the constructivist epistemology (Ormrod, Schunk, & Gredler, 2009, p. 184).  
My other views of learning have changed as I have studied new theories and their applications. For example, I can appreciate the theory of cognitivism because it emphasises what a person is thinking rather than doing. Learning occurs when information is encoded, stored, and organized in such a way as to make it more accessible (Ertmer & Newby, 1993, p. 58.). I also appreciate how the theory of Social Constructivism describes how much of our learning occurs through interactions with others and the meanings we give to new information (Kim, 2001).  Lastly, I think that Connectivism has made a great impact on how I view modern learning styles. Instead of finding information in discreet places such as hard copy books and journals, computer technology has made it possible to gain knowledge through online resources; be they blogs, wikis, or new contacts.
A final aspect of my reformed understanding of learning is that, although people may believe they have a preferred learning style (visual, verbal, kinesthetic), I think most information is best encoded through more than one modality; that information is stored with context and is thus more meaningful.  As an instructional designer, I plan to create learning environments using various modalities so that learners can build new knowledge as a more meaningful learning experience.
  • What have you learned about the various learning theories and learning styles over the past weeks that can further explain your own personal learning preferences?
In regards to myself, I learn best through experience; by applying new information to something meaningful.
I-see.jpgConfucius
People learn in different ways, and although some people are very attentive listeners, abstract visualizers, or creative builders, I need a combination of the three learning styles (visual, auditory, kinesthetic) but not for every learning situation.  Dr. Willingham (2008) describes how people can learn in any of the three ways but that some learning needs to occur with the correct modality.  For example, if I want to teach people how to check their blood sugar level, I could simply describe the method but a more meaningful learning environment would include a demonstration.   
In having a better appreciation of my own learning styles, I understand, that not everyone learns or understands in the same way.  Instructional Designers must therefore create learning experiences that appeal to a broad range of learning styles and are appropriate for the content.     
  • What role does technology play in your learning (i.e., as a way to search for information, to record information, to create, etc.)?
Technology plays a prominent role in my learning.  In fact, it seems very little of my current learning comes from sources other than computers because I use them for both academic and personal interests.  I also use technology for work related information; as a resource for company related information as well as a tool to help me do my job.  
An important way that I use technology for learning includes information searches either on the world wide web and or through restricted portals such as a university library system. Technology has also changed the way I store important information.  Instead of having reams of paper stored in file cabinets, I store most data on my computer or in a cloud based service such as Google Drive or DropBox. I also use technology for data manipulation such as calculating taxes and balancing home finances. To learn a new skill, I often turn to videos on Youtube and to learn new or evolving perspectives, I network with people through blogs or social websites.  Lastly, I use technology for creativity.   I enjoy taking information or images and presenting them in different formats. This process not only helps fill my need to be creative but also reinforces some of the information I have learned.  

References
Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4),50-71.
Kim, B. (2001). Social constructivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from: http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Social_Constructivism
Ormrod, J., Schunk, D., & Gredler, M. (2009). Learning theories and instruction (Laureate custom edition). New York: Pearson.
Willingham, D. (2008, Aug 21). Learning Styles Don’t Exist [Video file]. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIv9rz2NTUk

No comments:

Post a Comment