Sunday, June 8, 2014

Reflections on Connectivism

The following is a reflection on how my connections facilitate learning.  The questions were posed by my instructor and prompt me to consider how I learn in the 21st century given the addition of technology.
How has your network changed the way you learn?
My Network has changed the way I learn because my network has changed.  Before 1990, the World Wide Web, as we know it, did not exist (“History of the Web,” n.d.). We relied heavily on obtaining information from those closest to us.  Our learning network consisted primarily of our family, friends, acquaintances and hard copy educational materials.  To find information, we could either ask those who we deemed as knowledgeable in a particular field or went to the library.
My Early Network-A.jpg   
Today, my network still includes the people I talk to and the library, but with the addition of technology (the world wide web), my network has increased dramatically and I am a more independent participant in information acquisition.  Information that once took me hours or days to locate is now available almost instantaneously and this same information “can now reach literally millions of people around the world within a matter of seconds” (Davis, Edmunds, Kelly-Bateman, 2008).   The network I use to gather information will depend on the problem I am trying to solve or the question for which I am trying to find an answer.  When I am at work as a nurse, I can ask my colleagues questions or seek answers via  the intra or internet. For school work, I can find scholarly articles through the online library or seek general information through classmates, instructors, wikis, blogs, or reputable web sites.  In summary, my network has changed the way I learn by making the information I seek, more readily available.
My New Network-A.jpg

Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?
When considering the different digital tools that facilitate my learning, the tool I select depends on the reason I need it.  Using a modified Bloom’s Revised Taxonomy (Clark, n.d.) I am better able to categorize my tools:
Remembering: (Recalling data or information) ex. Google Calendar, Evite.
Understanding: (Comprehending the meaning of instructions and problems) ex. Virtual libraries, Youtube, Wikipedia, Google scholar
Applying: (Using a concept in a new situation or unprompted use of an abstraction) ex. Google Docs, Blogger, Freeplane.
Analyzing and Evaluating: (Separating  concepts into component parts, distinguishing between facts and inferences. Making judgments about the value of ideas or materials.) ex. Excel or Google spreadsheet, shopsavvy.
Creating: (Building a new meaning or structure.)  ex. Microsoft Paint, Prezi, Wix.
Collaborating: (working jointly on an activity, especially to produce or create something). Facebook, Skype, Docs.
How do you gain new knowledge when you have questions?
If I don’t personally have the knowledge base to answer my questions, I use different tactics.  Sometimes I simply ask another person; a family member, friend, or coworker.  This is often a very fast way of obtaining information from someone I consider an expert; i.e. a person who has attained a high level of competence in a domain (Ormrod, Schunk, and Gredler, 2009,  p. G-2).  For example, I work at a hospital and one of my coworkers is very knowledgable about the policies and procedures of the hospital, another co-worker is familiar with scenarios that are uncommon, such as what to do when a patient is unable to give consent for treatment.
For other questions, I primarily turn to online resources. The site I use, depends on the situation. Often, I “Google” information whether I am looking for a recipe, a tutorial, or a definition.  For research though, I use scholarly sources that I find through the university library system or Google scholar.  At times, I even use information obtained from Wikis and Bloggers but with caution to verify their expertise or the sources that they cite.   
In what ways does your personal learning network support or refute the central tenets of connectivism?
My learning network supports the tenets of connectivism in many ways.  “Connectivism is a theory that presumes that learning occurs as part of a social network of many diverse connections and ties” (Dembo,  n.d.).  A network can include people we know as well as people we do not know through the use of technology. According to Davis, Edmunds, Kelly-Bateman (2008), since “we can no longer personally experience everything there is to experience as we try to learn something new”, we create networks, or learning “entities”.  
As shown in my “Connectivism” mind-map, I have many sources from which I derive information and the map will continue to expand as my learning increases.  By relying on this network, I support one of the principles of connectivism, “Learning and knowledge rest in diversity of opinions” (Siemens, 2005).  Other principles I support are, “Currency (accurate, up-to-date knowledge) is the intent of all connectivist learning activities and maintaining connections is needed to facilitate continual learning” (Siemens, 2005)  I follow these principles by maintaining a relationship with both my live and online contacts so that I can get information in a timely manner.  



References:


Clark, D. (n.d.) Bloom’s Revised Taxonomy in Big Dog & Little Dog’s Performance Juxtaposition. Retrieved from  (http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/bloom.html)


Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Connectivism


Dembo, S. (n.d.) The networked student...in plain English. In Teach 42 Education and Technology.  Retrieved from http://www.teach42.com/2008/12/06/the-networked-student-in-plain-english/


History of the Web. (n.d.). Retrieved June 8, 2014, from http://webfoundation.org/about/vision/history-of-the-web/  


Ormrod, J., Schunk, D., & Gredler, M. (2009). Learning theories and instruction (Laureate custom edition). New York: Pearson.


Siemens, G. (2005, January). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. International Journal of Instructional Technology & Distance Learning. Retrieved from http://www.itdl.org/Journal/Jan_05/article01.htm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment