Saturday, June 28, 2014

Reflection

Saint-Benoit-du-Sault._Indre.jpg

  • Surprising aspects about how people learn
As I wrap up my current studies of learning theories and styles, what I found most surprising was how well the learning theories explained how I learn, and that one theory could not be used for all types of learning.  I found behaviorism applicable to the way children begin learning, as veritable “blank slates”; whereby knowledge is gained by experience through the senses (timeline, n.d.).  I also found that as much of the world has changed the way information is sent, received, and displayed, the philosophy of connectivism explains how learning occurs through internet resources and networks (invention-of-the-internet, 2010).  People with internet access use various nodes or resources to connect with people or computers in order to find information. This is especially apparent when people use the internet to find Blogs and Wikis that, although may not have the traditional stamp of “peer reviewed”, hold valuable insights that should not be dismissed.


Another aspect that I found surprising when researching learning theories is the idea that instructors can assist learners through extrinsic motivators.  It is a concept that I initially disregarded because I thought all motivation for learning had to be from within or intrinsic. To a large extent, I still believe that intrinsic motivation has to be present but with encouragement, modeling, and teaching methods, instructors can help students get through times of motivational ebbs.   

  • My personal learning process
This course has helped me reflect on my own learning style and has change some of my preconceived notions.  I used to think I was primarily a kinesthetic learner in that if I tactically learned information, I better understood it.  I have come to find that that is not always the case because much of what I learn is not kinesthetic.  For instance, I can learn about the circulatory system by reading about it and constructing new knowledge based on my understanding of anatomy and physiology.  For a deeper understanding, I can see visual representations of the circulatory system with color coding to represent veins and arteries.  In addition, I can listen to the sound of normal versus abnormal heart sounds, and finally, I can feel pulses to differentiate between strong or thready ones.  Given this holistic approach, I now understand that I need information presented in context and in different modalities.

Connect.jpg
  • The connection between learning theories, learning styles, educational technology, and motivation
Most of us use technology in one capacity or another to learn.  Since learning theories help explain the ways people learn, learning styles describes the modalities in which learning occurs, and motivation is the underlying assumption or necessity for learning; technology can be used as a tool to learn.  The above terms have the commonality of how learning occurs in modern society; how information is presented, what instruction is appropriate, and who is the target audience.  Since more learning institutions and corporations need training, Instructional designers can choose which theory best meets instructional goals, which modality or learning style is most suitable, and what tactics can keep learners motivated.


  • Learning theories applied to the field of instructional design
Instructional designers need a tool belt, so to speak, of methodologies to teach computer based or online learning.  Learning theories are on the belt.  Given that not all learners are the same; each has their own experiential framework, basis of knowledge, preferences for learning, and personal interests; instructional designers need have learning theories to help understand why:
- learners are so different
- variety is needed in any learning environment
Learners come in all shapes, sizes, cultural backgrounds, ages, and experiences.  Some readily participate while others need more encouragement or baiting.  Some learners enjoy listening to podcasts, others enjoy reading a well written article, and there are those who enjoy being creative; by designing a slideshow or other format.  In actuality, most learners enjoy variety and content can be designed to help keep learners interested and engaged.  Instructional designers use learning theories and styles when creating material that is appropriate for content and audience composition.  For example, young or resistant learners may need more scaffolding or cognitive support as they become more independent in their learning endeavors.    

In summary, the learning theories provide a framework for designing the training materials and curricula catered to the learning goals of knowledge seekers.



References
Flash Media Program: "Timeline of the History of Learning". Retrieved from http://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/Walden/EDUC/6115/01/mm/tec_timeline.html
The invention of the internet (2010). Retrieved from http://www.history.com/topics/inventions/invention-of-the-internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment